lindobaez asked: Do Blasian children suffer more prejudice/racism than "white" asian children within the Asian community?
Definitely. Beauty norms in most Asian countries favor big eyes and pale skin, and Blasian children go against that. Blasian children often experience the same anti-black racism even with Asian heritage. After the Korean and Vietnam Wars many Blasian children were given up for adoption in the US out of fear of rejection back home. (Eurasian Vietnamese children were also forcibly removed from their homes by the US government, but that’s a different story altogether.)
Keep in mind though that there really isn’t such a thing as a cohesive “Asian community” in America or in Asia. There are examples of successful Blasian people all over the world.
We also must consider someone who is black and asian looks. There isn’t one way to look like any mix or a POC.
I also wouldn’t pinpoint this as Asians being more antiblack than anyone else. Generally though throughout the world darker skin is less favored.
In 1968 Fred Hampton (1948–1969) chartered and served as the deputy chairman of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party (BPP). As a young activist, he understood how gangs destroyed and undermined the party’s efforts to promote self-determination. Therefore, he encouraged a “rainbow coalition,” or cross-cultural alliances, whereby African Americans, Puerto Ricans, and poor youth were encouraged to bring an end to ethnic tensions and gang violence. Additionally, Hampton worked toward developing community services for poor African Americans in Chicago. He realized the BPP’s ten-point program through the creation of free breakfast programs for school-aged children and the establishment of medical clinics. [source]
Photographer: Darryl Cowherd
Any time I mention anything about my ethnicity
- Person: So what are you?
- Me: I'm Berber... my dad immigrated from Algeria.
- Person: Wait, you're Nigerian?
- Me: No, Algerian.
- Person: Where's that?
- Me: The north coast of Africa
- Person: If you're from Africa, then why are you white? (asked with no hint of irony)
- Another "helpful" person: Not all Africans are black... there are a lot of white people from South Africa
- Me: No. I said I'm African. The white people in South Africa are the colonizers, not Africans. Besides, my mom's white so I look white.
- Person: But your dad is black?
- Me: What continent is Egypt in?
- Person: Africa
- Me: Are all Egyptians black?
- Person: No...
- Me: Exactly. Now go over a couple countries to the west and that's where my dad is from.
- Person: So you're Egyptian?
- Me: No, Algeria is part of the Maghreb region which is quite different. I was just trying to prove a point.
- Person: Are you like Middle Eastern then?
- Me: No.
- Person: But you are Arab?
- Me: No.
- Person: But they're pretty much the same thing, right?
- Me: No.
- Person: But they speak Arabic there...?
- Me: Sort of
- Person: But you speak French with your dad?
- Me: Most Algerians are able to speak French and they didn't exactly offer Darija at my high school
- Person: Why do they speak French?
- Me: Well, you see, the French colonized Algeria until the Algerians won their independence in 1962.
- Person: So you're white because you're French?
- Me: *gives up*
Haiti was the richest of France’s colonies at one point.
What few people mention is that before Haiti became the only colony to win its independence via a slave revolt, its worth was tied up in Black bodies. Haiti’s wealth was enslaved human beings.
France forced Haiti to pay the equivalent of France’s entire annual budget before recognising Haitian independence, equivalent to $21 billion in 2010 dollars. Since the first day Haiti was recognised as a country, it has been in debt… a debt to slave-owners by former slaves, for their own worth.
Haiti only paid off that ‘debt’ in 1937, by taking out loans from the US..so of course it didn’t actually get out from under that debt at all. And now the Paris Club manages that debt.
So for all the people disingenuously wondering why Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere, go ahead and ask when the world is going to demand that France pay reparations to Haiti instead of allowing this shit to stand.